Old DALnet SydLexia.com IRC channel
Command to list SOPs:
/chanserv sop #sydlexia list
Command to list AOPs:
/chanserv aop #sydlexia list
While people lurk at all hours of the day, the best time to find actual people in the room seems to be late evenings and overnight.
How to get on IRC
In order talk to others on IRC you need to install an IRC client. The following sections list the steps you will have to take for different clients and operating systems.
Disclaimer: You can only use this for so long. After that you have to pay to use it.
- Download and install mIRC.
- Run mIRC. By default, it will connect you to a DALnet server.
- Pick a username and whatnot.
- When the channel window pops up, type in
- Alternatively, you can type
/join #sydlexiainto the status window to join.
Note: You need Firefox to use ChatZilla.
- Install ChatZilla.
- Open Firefox and click the Tools menu.
- Click ChatZilla.
- In the ChatZilla! window click the ChatZilla menu.
- Click Preferences....
- In the Nickname field type in your screenname.
- Click the OK button.
- Close the ChatZilla! window.
- Click this link. It may take a few moments to connect, but you should then be connected to the #sydlexia channel.
- Download Conversation from http://homepage.mac.com/philrobin/conversation/
- Go to file>preferences and pick a username and stuff.
- Click the “+” icon and select “Server” from the pulldown menu
- Type irc.dal.net in the appropriate space and click “open” from the pulldown menu at the bottom.
- Click the “+” icon again and select “channel” from the pulldown menu
- Type #sydlexia into the space provided, and click open once more from the pulldown menu.
- Enjoy IRC chat
- Download XChat or install it through your distro's package manager.
- Run XChat.
- Pick a username.
- Pick the DALnet server from the list.
- If XChat asks for the channel enter
- If it doesn't ask, enter
- Download BitchX or install it through your distro's package manager.
- Run BitchX.
- Go to http://elar.lap.ee/cgi/irc.cgi
- In the Nickname field type in your forum login name
- In the Server field type in
- In the Channel field type in
The easy way
- Go to http://karatekid.sydlexia.com/irc
- Enter your name
- Press the button
How to register your nick
If you want to prevent other people from using your nick you have to register it with DALnet. Here's a quick guide on how to do that:
/nick YourScreenNameand press Enter.
/nickserv register YourPassword YourEmailAddressand press Enter.
- Check your email account for a confirmation email. It can take up to an hour. Near the bottom of the email you will find a link to make your registration permanent.
(Note: If you choose a nickname already taken on the server, you will get errors.)
You can now identify yourself by typing
/msg firstname.lastname@example.org identify YourPassword after you logged onto the server. For a full documentation on registration and identification read the DALnet NickServ Registration guide.