Talk:Sydapedia Style Discussion
Original Notes from GPFontaine
So far the colors that have been used are the colors that make up the rest of Sydlexia.com
Purple: #9966FF Green: #00FF00 Dark Gray: #333333 White: #FFFFFF Black: #000000
Some shades of these colors have been used to add effect, but overall these are the colors that have made up this site.
The navigation menu on the left has been changed to a gray background, purple border, and white text. The font is now Comic Sans MS. There is a little bit of a funky deal with the margin on the left side. I am working it out.
Once this is fixed, the search and toolbox will be fixed too.
Up top, the navigation section and the user tools have been changed to be more in tune with the rest of the site.
The footer has been changed to look more like it blends in with this site. I personally think that it should be altered to better assist with navigation of the entire Sydapedia website.
While I am working on this I also have many other projects, a full time job, and a wife to juggle. So it will go a bit slow, however I think it is going to get easier from this point on.
Be sure to comment below this if you want to contribute, bust balls, or just shoot the shit.
Notes from Syd Lexia
I do not like the pink on the tabs... I vote for white or gray. - SydLexia
Response from GPF
I gotcha on the tabs. They are white now. I still have a bit to do, but I think I got the navigation panel all worked out.
I still have a bit to do, but all is starting to come together.
Gishman P. Fontaine 11:49, 14 January 2008 (PST)
GPF - Massive Changes
As you can see, I did a major change to the color of the site.
Here are the things that I have not had time to finish yet.
- Table of contents blocks
- Templates with backgrounds (Including the front page)
- Spacing at the top of the page
- Input & buttons
- Horizontal Ruled lines
- I am unhappy with the purple border at the top, I am going to try out some other ideas (probably a light gray or something)
- Work on making the font consistent throughout the page
- Fixing the preferences page so that the font isn't white (or the background isn't white)
- Changing the hover color on the personal buttons (upper right)
- Repositioning the "Media Wiki" button at the bottom of the page.
- Highlight from green to purple is dumb. I'm going to make it from green to white or light green.
For now thats what I hope to get done in the next day or so.
Once again, I welcome all suggestions.
Gishman P. Fontaine 13:13, 14 January 2008 (PST)
- There are a few other tweaks I need to look into.
MOGHARR - White backgrounds
MOGHARR 16:51, 14 January 2008 (PST) It looks really good, I like it. The only thing is, some parts (like the Contents box) still have a white background so it's kind of hard to see the green text.
GPF Response to MOGHARR
It is definitely something that I have seen and am looking into. I should be able to fix most of those boxes either today or tomorrow. Unfortunately for me the style guide for MediaWiki is a huge pain in the ass. There is no easy list that says "this code will change that object". So I have been pulling research together from different spots to figure it all out. Some, very limited, information comes from MediaWiki or Wikipedia, but the rest is reading the style sheet and testing each feature that they use, then reading the final output HTML code and figuring out when they chose to use ID tag names vs Class names. Who the FUCK uses ID tag names??? (The reason they did this is because they allow a style sheet and then an override sheet. The override sheet is CSS, but it is interpreted by their engine rather than the browser, then converted to CSS...)
- I need to change the external link color too :)
Gishman P. Fontaine 04:12, 15 January 2008 (PST)
Notes from Syd on Color for article
I love the main page, love the sidebar, something about the article bodies just doesn't sit well with me though. I think I may prefer the classic white, black, blue for the articles. That or maybe gray for the headers instead of green.
I'll give the header change a go.
Looks good to me right now
It looks pretty good to me right now.
Does anyone have any requests?
If people are happy with it the way it is I will re-embed the stylesheet and take it off of an IMPORT method. (You don't know what this means... do you...) Just stuff. Don't worry about it. Tell me if you want changes.
Need to be fixed.
I think I got it.
Gishman P. Fontaine 17:27, 18 January 2008 (PST)
Very nice! - SydLexia
I would prefer:
- green for links to articles that don't exist
- (9966FF) for visited links. Yes, I realize that is the same as the non-viisted color.
- Gray (333333) for links (visited and non-visited) in the category box.
- Links without pages are now #00ff00.
- Links that do exist are now #9966ff.
- Unfortunately the background color for all the pages is currently set to #333333. If i made the links the same color it would be invisible. I have made it #666666 so that it is ~18% brighter than the background. It still fits into the grayscale though.
- Option 1: Keep it the way I set it with the #666666 colored links.
- Option 2: Set the links to #333333 and change the background to the Category box.
Let me know what you think.